Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I am reading Ken Bain's What the Best College Teachers Do. The focus of any good teaching is the student not the content. The challenge is always engaging the student and the how to effect deep learning. Posing questions, helping students become critical learners, interaction. "Giving students control" was a new idea I learned, although I feel I do this to some extent myself. This reminds me of Freire's idea of dialogue and teaching to what the student needs. I like to give little surveys periodically to my students to ask them what they need from me, what works well, what are their goals for the class. This helps me connect more with them.
Related to the idea of problem-posing (Freire) and getting students to pose questions and be critical, Sonia Nieto referred to Marilyn Cochran-Smith's work on Teachers and Inquiry. A teacher is always learning and inquiring and changing. One teacher Nieto interviewed said she threw out her lesson plans every year because she was always revising her classes and her students were always new. I am very much in the habit of inquiry and classroom research because of a Faculty Inquiry Grant we had in Carpinteria for two years. Not only did we do some great videotaping of students, assessing and inquiring about how we were conducting the class, but we learned more about how to contextualize the class and how important peer to peer learning was for the students. This again goes back to Freire. Students who come to us have so much to give and to share. They are very smart and experienced.

Lessons learned from Carpinteria Fina.
Here is a video about our first group of Carpinteria Fina students at Laney College. The film was made by Roy Robles of Career Ladders Project (very much a part of the Wood Tech program and Carpinteria) video
Here is an example of team teaching--both teachers talking at once...
 We labeled machines and tools in Spanish. Then you can label in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment